Amie Adelman, Professor of Fibers in the College of Visual Arts and Design at the University of North Texas, will serve as judge for the Members’ Exhibit. Although the bulk of Amie’s work is currently in surface design, she has a strong background in making, exhibiting and judging fiber art. She has studied and exhibited her work both in the United States and Internationally.
Lynne Lovett is the judge for the Fashion Show portion of the Exhibit. As stated in Lynne’s bio in the Conference Registration Booklet, her qualifications include decades of practical experience in sewing, design and construction, as well as teaching about fabrics that are wearable art.
Alissa Barton, well known as the “The Knitting Fairy”, is judging the Handspun category of the Members’ Exhibit. She, too, has vast experience in fiber, as a nationally known knitting teacher and spinner. Alissa learned to spin as a child with a drop spindle made from a stick and half a potato. Her fascination with all things yarn has driven her to a career in fiber arts.
RedFish DyeWorks Award is for the best use of color in items woven with natural fiber. The award includes a jump-start kit inspired by the Sequim Lavender Festival. It contains six skeins of differently colored 20/2 silk, valued at $93.00, and a ribbon woven by Lillian Whipple.
The Heddlecraft Award for “excellence and innovation” in handweaving will be awarded for cloth that is handwoven with natural fibers. The $100 cash award is accompanied by a ribbon woven by Robyn Spady.
The Handwoven Magazine Award for Excellence will not be given this year. FW-media, the parent company of Interweave Press, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in late March 2019. Although their representative doesn’t anticipate that the magazine will “go away,” the impending reorganization means the award will not be available to us.
- All Members’ Exhibit and Fashion Show Entry Forms must be submitted on or before Wednesday, May 1st. Forms may be send by email to the appropriate email address(s) listed at the bottom of the Form.
- All Members’ Exhibit and Fashion Entries must be postmarked not later than Monday, May 13. Each entries must be accompanied by its label, as well as entry fees if the Entry Form was submitted by email.
- Forms and/or entries not received by the aforementioned dates will not be accepted.
- If you submitted a form for a piece that will not be completed in time for the Exhibit or Fashion Show, please contact Katie or Margaret by Friday, May 3rd so the list can be amended before it goes to print.
- Find all info, including Entry Forms and Tags, online at www.weavetexas.org
We want to thank everyone who will have work in the Members’ Exhibit and Fashion Show. The items we have already received are glorious – it’s like opening birthday gifts. We are excited to see all of the pieces yet to come. It’s going to be a spectacular event, but then, we knew it would be. We look forward to seeing everyone – Katie and Margaret